Plumbing and electrical to save you money
You probably didn’t think that plumbing, electrical, and gasfitting was likely to save you money, energy is expensive, and these trades are responsible for installing and maintaining appliances that use a lot of energy. If we ensure efficient and well-maintained appliances are used, then you can save a lot of money over the years.
The energy we can save is for water heating, space heating, cooking, and lighting.
- Upgrading your hot water pressure to high pressure can cost around $600 per year in increased energy costs due to more hot water used. A water-efficient showerhead will reduce that bill by around $350 a year.
- A situation where a gas storage water heater was considered instead of a continuous flow would save money where a lot of hot water was used. If only a small amount of hot water is used then a continuous flow will be cheaper to run due to no heat loss. Some continuous flow water heaters have much larger heat exchangers and are condensing due to a large amount of heat extracted.
- The use of a conventional water heater costs around $1500 per year to run. Installing a shower heat recovery system will save money.
- Heat pump water heaters have around a three to five-year payback.
- Fit a cylinder wrap if you have an older tank. It insulates your tank and reduces heat loss which is expensive over the long term.
- Insulate the piping around water heaters.
- Use small LPG bottles to supply gas to cooking appliances rather than piped gas to the property and save on the line charge if that is the only appliance using gas. It pays to use piped gas if using large quantities as its cheaper.