Energy is getting to be a big expense. No one wants a big power or gas bill. Power and gas bills can cut into the lifestyle you want. No one wants to live in a cold home or pay a lot for water heating and lighting. It is much nicer to spend that money on a holiday you have always wanted. Energy bills are a re-occurring expense high bills add up after a while.
- Replace all incandescent and halogen light bulbs with fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs or LED bulbs.
- Replace old hot water cylinders with new insulated models or better. You can still install a Heat pump water heater.
- Install a smart, hot water cylinder. These tanks do not turn on if you are not using hot water during that period. They learn your hot water patterns.
- If using gas for cooking only, convert to LPG if possible and remove the gas meter.
- Double-glazed windows. Expensive in the beginning, but worth it.
- Replace anodized window frames with powder coated or PVC window frames.
- Insulate ceilings and walls.
- Insulate floors
- Replace convection type heating eg oil heaters, panel heaters with radiant heating or heat pumps is best.
- Heat transfer systems can make other rooms warmer for little cost where there is an excess of heat.
- Use thermostats where electric heaters are used.
- Gas instantaneous appliances are good for reducing gas bills as there is no heat loss. Just make sure you don’t use more hot water with these appliances.
- Fix leaking taps quickly, that’s the energy going down the drain.
- Install draft stops. Small gaps add up to a large hole in the building.
- Wellington does not have a warm climate, we use more energy than a lot of warmer countries both to heat rooms and hot water. Even a $50 saving each month adds up to $6000 over ten years.
Get your power or gas bill checked
We can check your gas or power bill against the meter and check if there is any loss of hot water causing the bill to be high. We can also check for gas leaks.
Convection heaters such as oil heaters and panel heaters are slow to heat spaces. In most cases, homes are not sufficiently insulated to keep the heat, therefore, most of the heat is lost before it is even used. It is better to use radiant heat or warm the air of the room quickly when it is needed. Radiant heat is felt almost immediately. Slow panel heaters are often the reason of high power bills.
Is Wood Cheaper?
You can buy wood at a cheap price and sometimes you can even get wood for free as well. This makes wood cheaper but you will have to cut the wood, dry it and stack it.
The reality is if you have a gas fire next to a wood burner, you will light the gas fire as it is quicker. It is less work and you feel the heat straight away.
Then there is the work of cleaning up a wood burner afterwards. The initial cost of installation is often higher for wood burners.
We are the Wellington energy saving experts, call now on 0800 484 353 to save money.
Strategy for Reducing Power and Gas Bills
The best strategy for being eco-friendly is to lower the power consumption and choose appliances that consume less power. For example, change your TV and Dryer. If you can then dry clothes outside, in winter that can be difficult so choose condenser dryers. Choose a low power fridge and low power heat pumps for heating.
Should I consider PV Panels?
Switching to PV panels generating power is very expensive, so a simple solution is to reduce demand. Consider solar, as solar water heaters are more cost-effective in generating energy. Compare the roof area of PV panels compared to solar panels for the same kilowatts. Solar uses lesser area and generates the same amount of power. Solar uses a third of the equal area.