Groundwater seepage can make a lawn or basement room unusable. Water collecting in lawns and in front of basement banks is often caused by groundwater seepage. It makes the land muddy and wet. It is often found under buildings where there is a hole making the ground lower than the surrounding area. This water needs to be collected and drained away.
By installing a groundwater drainage system, a considerable value can be added to the property.
If the water does not flow on its own, a pump can be installed to take groundwater seepage to the drains.
Causes of Ground Water Seepage
- Blocked stormwater drains
- Broken stormwater drains
- Incorrectly laid stormwater drains
- Overflowing spouting
- Spouting downpipes are discharging on to the ground instead of going to drains
- Installed soak pits without checking on the ability of the ground to drain it away
- The neighbour had an issue with their land so decided to divert water to your property
- Excavation without provision for taking the collected water away
- Underground spring changes course
- Neighbour has overwatered their garden
- Neighbour has a large catchment area, e.g., driveway with no provision for the collected water
- Incorrectly laid paved areas are not draining correctly.
To inspect a domestic ground water drainage problem in Wellington and write a report $250 – $450.
Prices start at $3500 for ground water solutions.
Steps to Organize Seepage Collection
- Arrange site visit
- Identify the problem and safety issues – The problem can be leaking water supply pipes so pressure testing may be required
- Dye testing may be needed
- A visit on a rainy day may be needed to see the problem
- A hose test cannot generate the volume rainfall does
- Locate drainage plan if available
- Design solution
- Price solution.
Install Ground Water Seepage System
- Arrange Building Consent if required, most systems do not require one
- Begin digging
- Install drainage
- Test and arrange inspection if required
Typical Ground Water Seepage Profile Basements
- Boggy lawns can be caused by a high water table, or the house is built on an old stream bed.
- Broken drains either yours or your neighbours can be a cause.
- Broken underground water pipes, or under the building can also be a cause.
- Runoff from the neighbours due to faulty drainage or irrigation overuse.
Building Consent Requirements
A building consent may be required where an additional drain branch is installed. We can alternatively install a sump where there is an existing downpipe from the roof going into the existing stormwater drainage system. In this instance, consent would not be needed.
- Site Visit
- Visit Territorial Authority (TA) for a copy of their plans
- Draw plans and specifications of job outlining the scope of works. Methods of installation and any information the TA may require
- Fill out the application form and pay the TA fee
- Obtain the consent and start work
- Book inspections and arrange a test
- Obtain Code Compliance Certificate after drawing any as-built plans.
We have experience of more than 35 years. Our team is certified by Master Plumbers, which means we are a trusted and reliable plumbing company in Wellington. Call Southern Plumbing for detecting groundwater seepage in Wellington. We offer emergency plumbing and drainage services on a 24-hour basis. In addition to plumbing and drainage services, we also offer electrical, roofing, drainlaying, and more services. Call Southern Plumbing on 0800 484 353.