How To Light Your Gas Hot Water Cylinder
The Storage type – a cylinder – usually mounted inside or outside on the floor or ground. We service gas hot water cylinders like these in Wellington. We recommend a service every two years. 0800 484 353.
They all have instructions on how to light them, but you may not understand them and sometimes they are unreadable. We help many people over the phone and know the frustration.
The valve that controls lighting is at the lower front of the unit.
The process uses the knob on top of the unitrol valve above large thermostat knob.
It has “off” “Pilot” and “On” written on it.
This has to be turned off first and wait 5 minutes. This is for safety. There is an ignition button don’t press that until after 5 minutes of being off.
Next to that is the pilot button, usually red. There is usually some kind of spark button next to the control valve.
See pics below of the valves used in lighting Gas Water cylinders
The steps are, using the top knob –
- Turn the black control valve to off first, and wait 5 minutes to clear any unburnt gas.
- Press tab on side of knob down. Turn the black knob on control valve to pilot or spark symbol.
- Press the red pilot button on side of knob and HOLD down until I tell you to let go.
- Press the red spark button on the right down until you hear it click about 5 times, or if no spark button it is safe to light the pilot with a lit paper taper or with a long match ( not a wax taper). Or you can use one of those gas matches from the super market.
- Where exactly do you light the pilot? You will see three tubes running down from the control valve to underneath. Follow the two outside ones which eventually join together. This is where the pilot flame lights. It is safe to put a flame there.
- The pilot should have lit by now if your are holding the pilot button down. You can check by looking deep inside the burner chamber after taking the cover off. You should see a blue small flame. That is the pilot.
- You should still have your finger pressing down on the pilot button. Keep pressing down until you know the pilot has been going for 15 seconds. Then release the pilot button and it should stay alight.
- Then turn to the control knob to “on” and the main burner should light if the thermostat is turned up to hot. There is no need to adjust the thermostat knob on the front.
- If not repeat from number 2.
- If this fails the water heater could be faulty – call us for service, 0800 484 353.
Is Your Water Heater Secured against Earthquake?
For a small fee, we can secure your tank against earthquake. Unsecured hot water tanks cause a lot of damage when the connections break off and the contents of the tank discharge inside the house. You also lose the use of the water in the event of a severe quake you will need that water for drinking.